Average Accounts Payable Salaries: US vs. Canada
February 19, 2016
Thinking of expanding your accounting team? On the hunt for a new career in the accounts payable space? Below, we break down the average salary expectations from PayScale for different AP roles and compare them between the United States and Canada.
1) What is the average salary of an Accounts Payable Clerk?
Generally a position seen at accounting firms or within commercial accounting departments, Accounts Payable Clerks are encouraged to develop process improvements to help complete their work more efficiently. Tasks for this position may include:
- Recording, coding, and processing all invoices for payment
- Account reconciliation by cross-checking entries and comparing to balances in a timely manner
- Amending purchase orders and ordering stop-payments as necessary
Accounts Payable Clerk Salary – US
The average salary for Accounts Payable Clerks in the US is between $24,248 and $41,955 in USD per year.
Accounts Payable Clerk Salary – Canada
The average salary for Accounts Payable Clerks in the US is between $28,862 and $46,332 in CAD per year.
2) What is the average salary of an Accounts Payable Specialist?
This role requires a sound understanding of how to file invoices, payments, and tax information for company vendors. Accounts Payable Specialists are capable of taking care of the AP process from purchase order to payment, including proper recording of each step for easy referencing in the future. Responsibilities for this type of role include:
- Fielding vendor and employee inquiries
- Solving any AP discrepancies (missing purchase orders, invoices, etc)
- Completing payments in a timely manner and recording them using company’s preferred payment tracking methods
- Reconciling financial statements and forecasts
Accounts Payable Specialist Salary – US
The average salary for Accounts Payable Specialists in the US is between $29,297 and $50,011 in USD per year.
Accounts Payable Specialist Salary – Canada
The average salary for Accounts Payable Specialists in the Canada is between $33,327 and $51,382 in USD per year.
3) What is the average salary of an Accounts Payable Manager?
A position that would normally be found at a larger enterprise with a dedicated accounts receivable department. When moving into an AP Manager role, we see a jump in responsibility that corresponds with a similar increase in compensation. Tasks for managerial positions would be:
- Overseeing day-to-day activities of the AP team and ensuring internal processes are followed
- Managing financial data and ensuring that all vendors are paid correctly
- Enforce GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and industry standards to uphold proper accounts payable completion
Accounts Payable Manager Salary – US
The average salary for Accounts Payable Managers in the US is between $33,594 and $77,705 in USD per year.
Accounts Payable Manager Salary – Canada
The average salary for Accounts Payable Managers in the Canada is between $38,243 and $77,280 in USD per year.
Data Entry is Finished. Here’s What’s Replacing it
About 86% of accounting teams enter data manually – and for 40% of them that task takes up a quarter of their workweek. Learn how AP automation can help accountants become more progressive by freeing them from the chore of keying invoices.
Completing An Audit Remotely Can Be Stressful – But There is A Solution
In a normal year, an auditor would meet staff in the office, or rely on physical records and verifications to make assessments. But with COVID-19 limiting travel, they’re now bound to phone and video calls.
If You Think Manual Work is the Biggest Challenge for AP Teams, You’re Wrong
Companies are typically taking up to four weeks or more to pay vendors – unnecessarily incurring late payment fees and breaking down supplier relations. Here are some ways that companies can use AP solutions to improve their purchase to pay (P2P) process.
Straight To Your Inbox
Stay up-to-date on top accounting and finance trends
Sign up for our newsletter and receive our latest resources, news and insights.
Learn More About Beanworks
Discover how AP automation can free your accounting team from manual data entry, delays, and paper-based processes.